Thursday, November 18, 2010

Texas in October. . .

. . . about as pretty as it gets! (name that song and artist!)
And nothing could be more true of Port Aransans! We were able to go there in October to celebrate Jason's birthday with a redfish-ing trip with his mom and dad. The weather was gorgeous and the island was more laid back and less crowded than in the summer months, not to mention less humidity and fewer vulture-like mosquitoes! Here are just a few highlights!
Getting there is half the fun! V is singing "Centerfield" - by John Fogerty and using his garbage truck as a microphone! As you might remember, our Texas Rangers were in the playoffs at this time, so we were trying to stay in the spirit of things with our song choices! All that singing makes a body TIRED!

Vaughn got his first real baseball glove just before this trip, so he and Daddy played "catch" while we were there.




This house is just across the ship channel from the island, and I thought it was cool, so I took a picture! I call it "Quintessential Island Abode", and if someone offered me the keys to the front door, I wouldn't say no!



Some of the bounty of the sea, now right at home in our deep freeze!




My boys, on the dock, after Daddy returned!

While we were there, we took the time to go on a dolphin sight seeing trip. We really didn't expect much, but wanted to get Vaughn out onto the "big water" in a big boat. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone, and especially those with kiddos! We had a blast, and saw no less than 50 dolphins, up close and personal, not to mention a guided, historical tour of parts of the island and those landmarks surrounding it.


These few pictures really don't do justice to the dolphin spotting. They were SO close to the boat at times, and VERY playful and active! And there were so many of them!


Vaughn and I on the front (is that the stern or the bow? I have no idea!) of the boat with the wind in our hair. Kind of Titanic-esque, no?

For those trivia buffs - this working lighthouse is currently owned by the H.E. Butts family - as in HEB grocery stores! They privately maintain, manage, and staff it!

As you can see from all the pictures, we had a GREAT time and look forward to doing it all again next year! Thanks Pop and Nonni!




















































































































No comments: