Wednesday, March 25, 2009

When all else fails. . . pull out the can of whipped cream!

As many of you already know, the Green house has been under attack - of the flu virus - since late last week. I came down with aches, chills, fever, etc. first and Jason and Vaughn weren't far behind me. I am thankfully well on my way to recovery (this is the first day since last Friday that I haven't "needed" a nap!) Jason is walking (working) wounded and Vaughn, bless his heart, just "doesn't feel good" - translation - he has been running a fever since Saturday morning. This last fact has been MOST evident around meal time.


Vaughn, our little foodie (so far) has, for the last two days, subsisted on items such as raisins, goldfish, grapes, cinnamon toast and Nutri-grain cereal bars, along with about 400 glasses of apple juice (laced with water) and lemon aid interspersed throughout the days for good measure. I was just about to throw my hands up and let him get hungry enough to eat whatever I put in front of him (like broccoli, chicken, sweet potatoes, peas, peanut butter, tilapia, strawberries, blueberries, . . . the things he USUALLY ASKS for. . . not that I am BRAGGING or anything. . . )when, out of the CLEAR blue, inspiration struck at last! One item he has NEVER had trouble choking down has been pancakes. . . so why not dress one up with some fresh fruit. . . and WHIPPED CREAM, from the can, of course! See for yourself how WELL the idea was received!

What's this white stuff?


Can't be too bad if Mom gave it to me. . . maybe I'll give it a try.

Yeah. . . this is pretty good stuff. . . think I'll have another bite.

FINALLY. . . after two days, the boy cleaned his plate!

4 comments:

Jaime said...

bless you guy's hearts with the flu, Betsy! However I think Vaughn's getting his wish on fun foods out of it, right?! ;) So cute! Hope you guys are well other than sick...yuck.

Amanda said...

I'm glad you got him to eat...I KNOW it's so nerve wracking when they don't!

Just to let you know, though(and it probably won’t make you feel any better, but…)...they can go a LOOONG time without eating and be ok...as long as they've got fluids, they'll be fine. (Noah first taught me this, and then Zach reminded me of it this past December when he stopped eating for two weeks! Seriously, had 2 cheese sticks and a cup of dried blueberries over the course of 2 weeks!!)

Have you tried making him a yogurt pop or smoothie? Milkshake?

Feel better soon, guys!!

Hannah said...

Hope you are feeling better soon V! I love pancakes with fruit and whipcream too Vaughn!

Sisters Lose 100 said...

You gotta do what works!! Now I know to grab a handy can of whip cream...I am sure it can do no harm, right?:)