Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Very Hungry Caterpillar. . .

. . . is one of Vaughn's most favorite books EVER. We read it at least 250 times a week, we talk endlessly about what he (the caterpillar) eats, we EVEN recreate the story with play dough (at my son's request!). Mind you, I don't have a problem with this whatsoever, since I love Eric Carle books and I, too, kinda have a thing for butterflies. So when the OKC zoo opened its "Flowers In Flight" exhibit - a large, enclosed butterfly habitat , into which they released several thousand butterflies of various species - whether or not to go see it wasn't even up for discussion! P. S. - Don't be fooled by the limited number of photos you see here of the actual exhibit. I could bore you for DAYS! We took over 200 pictures. Below is just a sampling!

Where are those caterpillars? Let me at 'em! I gotta see 'em! Oh yeah, and Mommy wants to see the butterflies, too!
I found a friend. . . and Mommy couldn't be happier! The lady at the zoo told us it was a "Painted Lady". And much to my delight, the plants behind us are CRAWLING with caterpillars - mostly Monarchs. We got some pictures of them but Mommy didn't post them to the blog because there weren't any PEOPLE in the pictures! Silly Mommy!

Just call me Butterfly Boy. . . on second thought, DON'T. That doesn't sound like a very good superhero name to me. But it sure makes a cute caption, don't you think?
BUTTERFLY BOY
All the caterpillars and butterflies wore me out! I'm takin' a break!


The original purpose of the trip to the zoo was a "caterpillar/butterfly fest". But as you can see it turned into a photo fest. These are just a few shots we got of V with each of us that I thought were really sweet.
MOMMY and ME

ME and MY DADDY












6 comments:

Sisters Lose 100 said...

I love these pictures!! So cute...glad you stole some time away to blog. Butterflies are sometimes known as "Bog Beasts" that is a great superhero name:)

Jaime said...

You guys are such great parents...I love this!

The Reeves bunch said...

Soo sweet! That is one of Madison's favorite books too!

melissa said...

Vaughn,
I love your butterfly pictures! Too cute...and how fun to see them at the zoo! Glad to hear you like Eric Carle, I like his stories too! And by the way, I was excited to hear you like The Backyardigans like moi. Mommy and my Aunt Jen Jen got all the characters for me at Barnes and Noble but mommy thinks you can order them off of Amazon.com!
Happy Summer!
xoxo,
Paisley

Amanda said...

LOVE the pics!! We saw the butterflies at the SA Zoo in March and LOVED them...Z was a little over-stimulated, but Noah LOVED it!!

Genia said...

How cool! I go through Oklahoma every time I go back to Minnesota. I think I'm just going to have to take some time out and visit a few places like this that have me intrigued!!! You're so lucky.