Wednesday, December 2, 2009

13.1 miles. . . one step at a time

It is official. I did it! It took me 2 hours, 29 minutes and 38 seconds. The goal was under 2.5 hours. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I ran my first (only?) half marathon the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It was the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, OK. I found about it from a friend in my mom's club (thanks Stephanie) and somehow the notion of completing it and being able to say "I did it" took hold. I started training right after Jason and I got back from our trip to Vegas in May and now it is done! I have NEVER been a runner, and there were times during the training that I wondered what in the WORLD I had signed up for, but now I am HOOKED! I don't know if I'll run 13 miles at one time again, but I have found I really like running, not to mention the great race day atmosphere and all the festivities. Here are a few pictures from the "family weekend" in Tulsa (what a beautiful city! We loved it here!).
Me and my "coach" before the race. During my training, Vaughn and Walker "ran" with me up to about 6 miles.
The starting line. . . I am SOMEWHERE between the signs marked "10 minute pace group" and "11 minute pace group".Vaughn and Jason tried to find me at mile 6 but just missed me. Here I am just after mile 10 - still smiling! Jason and Vaughn took this picture from a skywalk bridge above the street. I just HAPPENED to look up at the last minute and see them! What a pick-me-up. . . just in time to help me finish strong!Just about to cross the finish line. . . the guy pushing the stroller was just steps away from finishing the WHOLE marathon - in less than 2.5 hours - while pushing the stroller! He was trying to set the new world record. I am just glad I am still standing and smiling!My fan club - and two of the biggest reasons I can say I did it. Without Jason's commitment to help me succeed (countless days coming home from work to watch V so I could run)and Vaughn's constant encouragement when he would see me putting my running shoes on (You can DO it, Mommy!), I don't know if I would have seen this through. Thanks boys!A photo-op with my finisher's medalVaughn . . . just minutes after he was strapped in for the ride home! He wasn't the only one who snoozed on the ride. Thanks, Jason, for acting as chauffer!


















3 comments:

The Meador's said...

I am so proud of you! What a great inspiration you are to all around you. We need to try to get together when you come home or I come up to OK.

melissa said...

YOU go girl...Inspired to say the least! Happy Holidays and big hugs and kisses to V!

Hannah said...

Way to go Betsy! What an accomplishment!! I have been running for almost 20 years now, and I still haven't run a half marathon!