It's an old cliche, and I swore (before I was a parent)I would never say it! For me, it has never been truer than it was yesterday.
I have never been one of those moms who longed for their child to remain a baby just a bit longer. I have enjoyed Vaughn at each stage but have looked forward to the next one as well. All of this came back to bite me on the hiney yesterday when it came time to put Vaughn down for his nap. . . for the last time. . . in his crib.
We read, we rocked, we sang, just like we always do, and on this day he happened to fall asleep in my arms (spilling out of them, actually, as my lap cannot quite contain him like it used to!). And on this day, I lingered a bit longer, before putting him into his crib. I rested my cheek on the top of his head, and held his little hand in mine, studying each little finger. I listened contentedly to his breathing and watched his little chest rise and fall. I studied his face - eyes closed, lips parted slightly, flawless skin - and cherished the last few moments before I placed him gently in his crib, head on his cowboy pillow, tucked snugly under Rosie - his puppy dog blanket, with Bruce near by - for the very last time. Then I silently walked out of his room, and cried.
Time is marching on, and I cannot stop it. I don't want to, really, but I did slow it down just a bit yesterday to savor one of the priceless moments of motherhood.
My little boy isn't so little anymore.
Here are a few pictures of him before nap time in his crib. 


1 comment:
such a sweet post!
Post a Comment